Sunday, April 1, 2007

Love Speaks Louder Than Words

Song: Love Speaks Louder Than Words
Artist: Fabulous Thunderbirds
Written: K. Wilson / D.Tate

Year :
2005
Album/Single: Painted On


Breaking the rules this week, kiddies.

This is not a song the Detroit Cobra's have covered.

The Fabulous Thunderbirds were formed back in 1974 by vocalist/harpist Kim Wilson and guitarist Jimmy Vaughan - brother of guitar god Stevie Ray Vaughan. They hit it big in 1986 with "Tuff Enough". Unfortunately, that was the extent of their chart success. Jimmy would eventually leave the band to play with brother Stevie Ray, which was cut short in 1990 with Stevie's tragic death (rant - "Why did Cobain get a Rolling Stone cover upon his death and Stevie didn't? - The Women of Twin Peaks ? Please!" - rant over).

So why, on a blog self described as ""An in depth study of the songs the Detroit Cobras have chosen to cover" are we discussing a song by the Fabulous Thunderbirds?

Because of the guest vocalist on the track - none other than the lovely and talented Detroit Cobra, Rachel Nagy.

Lyrics:
Love speaks louder than words
it's a feeling you get deep down in your heart
It's not what you say or in the way
you prove it over and over
Because love, l
ove speaks louder than words

Well we might not say it
but we both know how we feel
I can hear your heart talk to mine
The way you play is sweet music to my soul
Even if I was deaf, dumb and blind

Because love speaks louder than words
it's a feeling you get down in your heart
It's not what you say or in the way
you prove it over and over

Because love, love speaks louder than words

Ooohhh, we've been together so long, baby
I don't ever want it to end
Ooohhhh, I'm so happy darling
You my lover and my best friend

I can't repay ya,
there ain't enough diamonds and gold I'll alway be their when you call Every night and every day The truth be told your my all and all
Because love, love speaks louder than words
Because love, love speaks louder than words
Because love, love speaks louder than words

I have no idea how this match up came to be. I have found no mention of it other than album reviews. I just stumbled upon it myself when I was checking Rachel's AllMusic.com biography to determine how old she is (which I have yet to determine . . . anybody out there know her age ?) I do agree with the review I read that refers to "Love Speaks Louder Than Words" as "Wilson Pickett-worthy". To be honest, I was quit surprised this was not a cover - it was co-written buy the vocalist sharing the mic with Rachel - Kim Wilson. Irregardless, it's a dandy little chestnut I thought might have escaped the casual Cobra fan so I offer it here for you.

Enjoy - we'll get back on track next week with a special Easter edition of "Cobras Covers".

Download it now:
The Fabulous Thunderbirds featuring Rachel Nagy - Love Speaks Louder Than Words - 2005
Available on - "Painted On"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's 31

Unknown said...

good to kn ow - thank you

i won't even post how old i thought she was . . .

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a blog. I'm bookmarking it and will let you know if any dig up anything on your wants list. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

Anonymous said...

Kim lives in the Ann Arbor area and hangs out around Detroit. He has good taste, hence the invitation to Rachel to sing "Love Speaks Louder Than Words." 'Nuff said!

Anonymous said...

Rachel is 37